Wednesday, March 2, 2022

March Bandcamp Friday recs

 


Hello, here's my recs for this bandcamp Friday, be kind to each other. 

Poorly Drawn House  - Home Doesn't Have Four Walls

My god, as someone who isn't into slowcore or post rock that isn't from late 80s/early 90s this album by Poorly Drawn House blew me AWAY. The first thing that grabbed me was the field recording of the crickets against the slow churn of guitar, who's tone reminds me of Karate. Its slow moving beauty, made by people who aren't trying to empress anyone but their own artistic whims. 

https://candlepinrecords.bandcamp.com/album/home-doesnt-have-four-walls

Empath - Visitor 

Empath is a dope band, they play psychedelic pop without using any of the annoying/over used tropes of the genre. This record does in fact, tone the frenzy down, but what it lacks at times in pure blissed out energy it makes up for lucid hooks vocally. "Bell" is a clear stand out, I'm not sure why it wasn't a single, the little feedback bit in the chorus is brilliant! There are few bands I feel like I/Dummy relate too, in that Empath makes sonically interesting pop, that uses sound design, propulsive rhythms and has a deep love for new age music. I hope the next record they do more of the long stretched out jams, combined with these great pop tunes. 

https://empathx.bandcamp.com/album/visitor

Hydroplane  - Shoulder to Shoulder

Thanks to Glenn of The Reds, Pinks and Purples for posting this on Twitter, I have a new(to me) bands discography to traverse. The best way I could describe this release is a mixure of the Bristol rural psychedelia scene mixed with Galaxie 500, Mazzy Star and some triphop beats. Very similar to whats happening in the Bay right now......."fog pop" like April Magazine. This is a collected singles compilation and I love it. The real gem here is the epic "The Love You Bring".

https://hydroplaneband.bandcamp.com/album/shoulder-to-shoulder-collected-singles-1996-1998

Heather Trost  - Petrichor

One night recently Mariana Timony and I were hanging out, and we were looking for bands for Dummy to play with in Albuquerque, NM. We dug deep in the bandcamp tags, and it was feeling (no shade intended) hopeless. But, ding Mariana remembered reviewing this fantastic LP. Surprisingly Heather said yes to playing with us, and I am personally THRILLED. This album oddly is out on Third Man, who isn't know for this sorta thing.Its members of Hawk and A Hacksaw and Neutral Milk Hotel...but sound nothing like those bands. It pulls from the same influences as Broadcast like Jefferson Airplane, The United States Of America, Suicide, Julie Cruise and a dash of kosmische. The LP starts of kinda pysch pop but ends more wild, dream and more abstract. Along with Beach House, I cannot imagine a better band suited for the Twin Peaks roadhouse. 

https://heathertrost.bandcamp.com/album/petrichor

Wash - Wash Demo

Australian shoegaze from 1991 that no one has ever heard of, YES PLEASE. I don't know anything about this band but it's great noisey shoegaze. Similar to underrated favs Aspidistra, Moose and Jane From Occupied Europe. Its got that great youthful, we dont care how bad this sounds, just document it! The song "Chlorine" gooooooes. Highly recommend.

https://washperth.bandcamp.com/album/wash

Vasco Martins - Universo Da Ilha

Alex discovered this recently, and I am only becoming familiar with its beauty. Its beautiful spiritual jazz/new age with lots of mantra like vocals. Very easy to get lost in the repetition and rhythms. It kinda reminds me of some of Lonnie Linston Smiths more far out moments. Its just damn good, can't wait to dig in more while on tour. 

https://vascomartins.bandcamp.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bandcamp Friday # ?!?!?

  Music is good Water Damage - In E I love this band, and ive made it clear so much that Water Damage asked me to write the blurb for this L...