Monday, March 14, 2022

Daisies - Discography


 Its been quite awhile since I've done a post that focuses on one band, but lately, after Dummy played with em, I'm having a minor obsession with Olympia, Washington's Daisies. I learned about this band few years ago from Taylor of the band Flasher, when I was looking for bands to play. What I got was their debut LP "What Are You Waiting For" on K Records, which is a exuberant mixed of the indie pop, triphop, techno, 90s top 40 dance pop, acid house, drum n bass and the UK baggy scene. The one thing about this album is unlike later records, this one feels like a band, which i have no clue if it is or is not. The clear stand out is "Anyones Style" with a huge hook, and bounce that is undeniable. I am also huge fan of the murk of "I'm Not Waiting Anymore" and the instrumental "ok, ok!". It's crazy to me that this LP didn't pop off in the indie pop circles for its clear lineage of Saint Etienne and the cover arts nod to Sarah Records. But, also with indie norms with their large embrace of poptism, cuz Daisies are STRAIGHT UP pop. Its fun, full of life and catchy as fuck. I have no idea if Daisies touresld, or even play out that much, or if they even have ambition outside of artistic ones. The often do pay what you want with their LPs, and when we played with em, it was low key promo wise (not a diss at all),they don't seem interested in being very online, which leaves alot of mystery...which I love. Their next album "2" I didn't even know existed till I started writing this, so I'm hyped to dive in while on tour. They followed that up with the ep "cherries" which has the BANGER "Everybodys Moving To London", I love the horns in the song. And this ep shows the more dance forward, what I assume is sample based production. Oh, and I haven't even talked about how great the production is, its neither lofi or over produced like this kinda music tends to be. Its dreamy, robust and hits hard. So, now we get to the album that really really clicked with me "Daisies In The Studio With Dj Rap Class" a near perfect diy electronic pop record. Every song has HOOOOOKS, it feels like yr own private rave. The song "I Dont Know" is a true hit, with the melody hinting at Sugar Rays "When its Over" and the vocal performance is pitch perfect. Unlike so music dancey indie music, Daisies just feels so unselfconscious, free and beautiful. The whole LP just feels so ALIVE. "Dido" is the other personal standout, great hook and makes me wanna move my ass. I think why all of Dummy connected with it is....its sense of joy and bliss. Their most recent LP is "Sour Melody" honestly didn't hit me at first, I had LOVED the single "Legalize Summer" but the rest....idk, it didn't click, but then we played with em and BOOM, it all hit. Seeing the pure joy of Chris and Valerie's faces, and the joy is was bringing the crowd, it really brought the new stuff in a better context for me, and now I love the record. It's so homespun and real. What sets Daisies apart I THINK, is that they don't give as fuck about being popular, they keep things self contained and punk as fuck, and thats why I relate to and love their music. This band should be huge, but people have bad taste and don't dig...I MEAN K PUT PUT THEIR DEBUT WTF. I think if you dig Mr Fingers, late era Bowery Electric, Mr Twin Sister, 90s dance pop to Robyn and Caroline Polachek youll have alot to fall in love with. Fucking get into it!


https://daisies.bandcamp.com/album/daisies-in-the-studio-with-dj-rap-class



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bandcamp Friday # ?!?!?

  Music is good Water Damage - In E I love this band, and ive made it clear so much that Water Damage asked me to write the blurb for this L...