Wednesday, July 15, 2020

10 favorite releases so far in 2020



I guess cuz all the the other cool kids are doing it, I'll do a best of 2020 so far, which other than music has been complete shit. In no particular order.

Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters

So, look I've been on the Fiona Apple train loooooong before it was "cool" to do. The hyperbolicness surroundings the GREATNESS of the record is imo, and over course correction for eveyone sleeping in the past. This isn't her best record, that remains to be "When The Pawn...." but this LP is very much the most FIONA, Fiona Apple record that she's ever released. Its chaotic, messy and feels what I assume its like to be in her head. Which makes for an extremely compelling record, filled to the brim with her most acidic lyrics and some of the most creative percussion yr gonna hear on a major artists release. The whole record feels like an exorcism of the past, coming to terms with how youve been treated and how touve been complacent in being apart of those  social systems and hopefully coming out feeling lighter and more at peace within yourself. I'm a dood, so a lot of the themes aren't for me, which no one should use as a knock on the record and I still relate to alot of them anyway. The main thing I personally miss is the beautiful melodies and hooks, but instead w get her more adventurous LP to date, which rules. It makes me happy more people are giving her the respect she has long deserved. 

Toner - Silk Road

Oakland phreaks come pummeling through the speakers with equal parts walls of distortion and sugary pop melodies. Their are moments of dream pop, punk, grunge, shoegaze and classic SST indie rock. There are so many clever songwriting moments, especially with the transitions and bass parts. In my mind Toner are the sitting kings of Pummeling Pop, who's coming for the throne!

https://tonerca.bandcamp.com/album/silk-road

Peel Dream Magazine - Agitprop Alterna 

Pretty much all my fav things in guitar music rolled into one, tight well written shell. A lot has been said about this record in a lot of places, so not much to add but Joe takes what was at first a kinda hermitish project and fully blooms into a pop power house of dreamy vocals mixed w indie pop noise, and yalls minds are gonna be blown when you hear what he does next.

https://peeldreammagazine.bandcamp.com/

Ulla Straus - Tumbling Towards A Wall

Since being quarantined, I often go on solo walks so I can listen to music, without having the distractions of the TV, phone or PS4. One thing, for me that has sucked about not working/going out is thats when i listened to music. Driving around doing errands and at work, playing music. That's where i fall in love with stuff. This album has been my go to walking music, its  calming and helps me focus on being present when I'm outside. The music itself is dubby experimental electronic music, very hushed and beautiful. Definitely overlooked so far this year. 

https://ullastraus.bandcamp.com/album/tumbling-towards-a-wall

Daisies - Cherries 

Another overlooked release this year has been the Daisies new EP. Its very 90s dance/trip hop music mixed with DIY ethos, and gets pretty out there but will still get yr butt moving in yr living room. Its similar to 
Saint Etienne, which is an easy comparison but I like this far more than I've enjoyed their stuff, this is weirder and cathartic.

https://daisies.bandcamp.com/

C.H.E.W. - In Due Time

Recently, I've been returning to listening to hardcore/punk stuff like Siege, Discharge, Botch...etc due to my anger and anxiety of reality and I came across C.H.E.W. EP when perusing the Irong Lung Records bandcamp. What I got was this bulldozzer of distortion and rage. All go, no slow, no bs raw punk. Thats what I NEED right now to soothe the overwhelming amount of anger and hopeless thats swirling in my head and others.

https://ironlungpv.bandcamp.com/album/in-due-time-7-lungs-161

Cindy Lee - What's Tonight to Eternity

This one hell of a record, uniquely recorded, not afraid of alienating the listener which I appreciate and love. The combo of brutal noise feedback with beautiful haunting 60s pop songs. Its a shame that this sorta experimental indie rock music isn't still en vogue, where the artists isnt looking to streams, playlist placement, its just pure ugly blissful art.

https://cindylee.bandcamp.com/album/whats-tonight-to-eternity

Mo Dotti - Blurring

Wrote a whole post about it, its third time mentioning it on this blog, its for people who actually like OG shoegzer cuz its songs first, effects second. 

https://mo-dotti.bandcamp.com/

Green-House - 6 Songs For An Invisible Gardens

Did a whole post dedicated to this great new age cassette, go read that!

https://green-house.bandcamp.com/album/six-songs-for-invisible-gardens

Lojii - lo&behold

Few of these I've obviously written about, SORRY, but this is hands down best hiphop LP of the year, great lyrics and fantastic production, just go read my post.

https://lojii.bandcamp.com/album/lo-behold-2


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bandcamp Friday # ?!?!?

  Music is good Water Damage - In E I love this band, and ive made it clear so much that Water Damage asked me to write the blurb for this L...