Thursday, July 16, 2020

Aspidistra - "Cradle" "Grip" and "Sunrise"



In my last post I talked about my husband and I wanting to start a cassette reissue label, to release Harry Case's "In a Mood", along with, that we want to release this as far as I can tell pretty unknown and underrated shoegaze, noise pop, dream pop whattttttever band Aspidistra's three 7inchs on tape. So, writing this, I am doing two things, introducing you all to this killer band, and putting it out into the world, doods from this band, or Fluff, or Lust records, holler at me, I'm serious and we wanna do this so much. Also, I try not to talk about my band Dummy on here cuz reasons but this band is a huge influence on us. ANYWAY, I discovered this band, about 8 years ago deep into my trying to find the most obscure shoegaze bands I could find, it was on some blog, totally random, downloaded it and was like "what the fuck is this!". To put it plainly it sounds like the perfect blend of MBV's "Ecstacy and Wine" era mixed with "You Made Me Realise" era or if the Primatives were more noisy, in your face, and fucked up sounding. Aside from MBV, this is my perfect ideal of the shoegaze genre. Pulverizing noise with great pop tunes. "Sunrise" their debut EP packs 4 songs in 12 mins of pure miasmic bliss, and the thing that immediately stands out is the drumming, which is killer through all three eps, his playing is crisp, minimal and propulsive, which allows the guitars to just bleed and explode distortion everywhere. Theres so much use of feedback, and noise, if I didnt know any better I'd say these doods were punx at some point. Their second EP "Grip" is more caustic and noisy, the A-Side opens w simplest 4/4 beat and a guitar intro, then some weird sound effect happens and everything comes crashing in and the BASS is just CHUGGGGGING, its brutal beauty and a perfect song. The B-Side starts off w a full minute of feedback and noise before kicking into another punk af noise pop jam. They just hit you with walls and walls of sound but the mixing is great, the drums are lower in mix and vocals don't over power. The final EP is "Cradle" which I've only ever heard one side of it, the title track, because I've never been able to find the other song, is a very different vibe from their first two releases, way slower, droned out and broody and kinda predicts a lot of current shoegaze, its a crazy sounding dirge but not lazy. So, what really sucks is, you can't find this stuff anywhere but youtube and maybe torret it. It's a shame cuz this shit rules, and deserves to be heard by more people. So again.....anyone put me in touch with these phreaks. I wanna release a discography tape! Below I made a YouTube playlist with all available songs I could find. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8jGMLw0xeptzzPBCVcJtEBZIj_ol14aS


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bandcamp Friday # ?!?!?

  Music is good Water Damage - In E I love this band, and ive made it clear so much that Water Damage asked me to write the blurb for this L...