Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Harry Case - In A Mood



My husband and I have discovered so much good music from the blog : https://www.listentothis.info, which I highly recommend diving head first into digging amongst all the gems Jen posts about. The reason I bring this up because thats how we discovered Harry Case's "In A Mood", which is a 10 out 10 record, and I'm extremely surprised how slept on it is. There really isn't alot of info available on this record at all, other than it was his second LP, released on Ichiban Records in 1989 and kinda predicted alot of current trends in indie, electronic pop and outsider music. The drum programming is killer, and has these very off kilter grooves with smooth as fuck guitar playing. The vocals are welcoming, sadly only featured on a handful of songs. The whole thing is this blissed out new age pop music that pulls from jazz, funk, ambient and electronic music. Its so so so so listenable, the LP opens with "Ride 'Em Off" which sets the tone with masterful drum programming, stabbing piano chords looped and synth bass making you feel like yr ready for anything and then the vocals kick in and yr just there with him, embracing the beauty of the day. Its like a sunrise, and the whole LP plays out like a full day passing until you get to the final track, which is undoubtedly informed by fourth world music/city pop and you slowly phase into a dream state. Its a subtle psychedelic record, dream pop for extroverts. Its a truly magnificent record, and I implore all my readers to check it out. A dream of my husband and I's is to start a cassette reissue label, and release this. Linked below is a YouTube video of the full record, or you can go to the blog mentioned above and download it, unfortunately his music isn't on Bandcamp or Spotify. Enjoy 


https://youtu.be/r1udnsYNYo4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bandcamp Friday # ?!?!?

  Music is good Water Damage - In E I love this band, and ive made it clear so much that Water Damage asked me to write the blurb for this L...