Tuesday, May 2, 2023

May Bandcamp Friday Recs


May is a busy month, training up a new bassist for Dummys tour in June with Facs, writing LP2 (😮‍💨) and work work work. Here's some suggestions for things to put on yr IPOD.


Coral Grief  - "Daydrops
"

So yea, I already kinda went off about this on Twitter, which I know everyone loves me on there so everyone checks out anything I post. Anyway, this record is a lovely, and hooky dream pop record that leans more into the psychedelic side of it. Lena's vocals are so welcoming but express longing in a way I rarely here in this genre. The production is varied, guitars shine and the beats tend to keep things moving forward, no wallowing in the boring muck of pedal worship. Yea yea yea, I did PR for it but I got the tape recently.....and I was just like fuck off world for not popping this off.

https://coralgrief.bandcamp.com/album/daydrops


Brandon Seabrook - "In The Swarm"

Well, I found out about Brandon from a video I saw of him absolutely owning his guitar, which I am a sucker for, somewhat of in the same way Feelies or VU own em but even more manic. This record is explosive psychedelic jazz, the guitar acts more as a sax or trumpet than with bonkers drumming. Just super adventurous Primal jazz. Blast it hard and loud.

https://astralseabrooktrio.bandcamp.com/album/in-the-swarm

a.s.o. - "a.s.o."

I've listened to this whole record and it rules. Its a surprisingly dynamic record unlike...alot of records ingeneral. Taking elements of triphop, house, 90s r&b, dream pop and Sophisti-pop into their sticky melodies and interesting production choices. The crown jewel of the record is "True", its one of the more emotionally resonate songs I've heard in a minute, and the vocals reallllly soar with that Beth Gibbons vibrato, along with "Hunter" kinda vibe. The songs are hella catchy, it doesnt over stay its welcome, its fun.....This record will likely be in my top 5 of the year. It's rare that I feel cooler when listening to music but this makes me feel cool lol. Also, love the subtle nodes to soul there are.


Sohni Chambers - "Yaw-Mah-Ha"

I am a huge fan of Goaty Records from Los Angeles, and I've been slowly going through their bandcamp when I came across this lil gem, that apparently a side project of Sun Araw dood. It's very reminiscent of imo Hailu Mergia and Mulatu Astatke, very expressive organ and drums. Feels very free following, off the cuff and stoned. It's dope, if you dig blaring keys and pounding drums.

https://goatytapes.bandcamp.com/album/yaw-mah-ha

Puli - "Puli" EP

Los Angeles ambient experimental super group called Puli. Two song of dubbed the fuck out electronic music that engulfs you fully. Can't wait to hear more!

https://constantdelay.bandcamp.com/album/puli-ep


Solid Space - "Space Museum"

I oddly feel like this is still weirdly under heard/ underrated in the general lofi/post punk field. The duo make some songs that sound like Cabaret Voltaire and some that sound like a lost Sarah Records band, it rules! The production/mixing is so one point, everything feels perfectly in space, and these guys were just kinda fucking around with new synths cuz he was temping editor at a music magazine. I love how some songs sound kinda Mort Garson playing post punk, kinda playful. It definitely feels like they are having fun, despite playing broody music...it's great tunes.

https://solid-space.bandcamp.com/album/space-museum

Purelink - "To/Deep"

I've been getting more into dub techno, my intro to it was through Deadbeat back in Wildhoney days, and Purelink brought me back into exploring it more. This new 12inch EP is more on the chill side of dub techno, which is what I personally prefer. The third track "Maintain The Bliss" is the highlight, putting me in an immediate trance, with the circular rhythms and slowly getting more over taken with static rain sounds. I recommend all their release, they have a very strong discography. 

https://purelink.bandcamp.com/album/to-deep


Agriculture  - "Agriculture"

One of Dummys fav local bands, first single off what I am going to assume is an absurdly dope LP based solely off their ep and how sick they are live. If you dig Weakling and Velvet Cacoon or Wolves In The Throne Room you'll love this, it's raw, fast as hell and euphoric.

https://agriculturemusic.bandcamp.com/album/agriculture



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bandcamp Friday # ?!?!?

  Music is good Water Damage - In E I love this band, and ive made it clear so much that Water Damage asked me to write the blurb for this L...