Monday, March 8, 2021

Angel'in Heavy Syrup - IV


I remember the first time I heard Angel'in Heavy Syrup, I was at the original drummer of Wildhoneys house, we worked together at a coffee shop, and it sucked. But, after work we would often go to his house, get very stoned and he would show me music. This is where i fell in love with Flying Saucer Attack, early MBV, The Telescopes and Angel'in Heavy Syrup's "IV".  There isn't a ton of info about AIHS online, mostly I know they released 4 albums, were Japanese and all gals. IV was their last record, and imo easily their best. The early stuff isnt bad, it just doesnt grab me the way IV does, it feels like a culmination of their powers, their dynamics between members, and whatever studio they recorded(or who captured it) in to just nail this pyschdelic masterpiece. The main attraction into is the interplay between the leads and rhythm guitar, the solos sound so free from thought, and are all FEEL. She really fucking shreds, like you think yr fav goes off, listen to "Space Conquest" and shut yr mouth. They feel like the childen of Ash Ra Temple, or Amon Duuls mellow jams, but full in outer space. "First Love" opens with an iconic guitar part, and feels like a rocket ship exploding out of the atmosphere, and than the vocals kick in(which perfectly match with the dreamy, but confident coos), and it feels like yr floating. I also, love the tone of the rhythm guitar, its so jangley, punchy and crisp, they are played w equal effortless flow. Its a shame this record hasn't been rediscovered or issued, I have a cd version but would love an LP. Anyway, not on streaming or bandcamp, here's full LP on YouTube, stfu and listen.

https://youtu.be/K_EXFd-vE0o


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bandcamp Friday # ?!?!?

  Music is good Water Damage - In E I love this band, and ive made it clear so much that Water Damage asked me to write the blurb for this L...