Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Darto



So, I guess I lied, got another post to bang out. Darto is from Seattle,and I learned about them through Emma of Big Hush. Ill be totally honest, anything before "Human Giving" I'm not familiar with. Around the time Emma clued me in, they had just released the first single of mentioned LP. I loved it instantly, it was a strange mixed of krautrock, americana and this rhythmic cello, that blended w the sing songy melody that felt like a lullaby from a dystopian world. The the whole LP, has this oscillation between human and machine, synths and acoustic guitars clang up against each other to create a disorienting world. One of the interesting things about Darto is their subvertion of the masculine kinda troupe of Americana and that is through the lyrics and delivery of the vocals, its like a take down of the cowboy. The follow up to their fantastic LP, is "Fundamental Slime" which is 4 tracks that further plunges into the depth of dystopia, with more dread and isolation vibes. Once again, I remember being on the last ever tour of my old band, and as we drove through the northern California mountains, seeing all the destruction from wildfires, this ep was the perfect companion to this wasteland of the USA. I count Nick and Candance as buds, full disclosure. 


https://darto.bandcamp.com/album/fundamental-slime



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bandcamp Friday # ?!?!?

  Music is good Water Damage - In E I love this band, and ive made it clear so much that Water Damage asked me to write the blurb for this L...